Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Venue Update and Centerpiece Trial run

Since the last time I blogged we have made some progress surrounding the search for our ceremony site. We have a meeting with my future mother-in-law's pastor on Monday and if all goes well I hope to be putting down a deposit and officially securing our ceremony site! I will be sure to update you guys after we have our meeting next week :)

Now on to the fun stuff! I have known since the beginning of wedding planning that I would be a "budget bride". My parents are giving us some money but we will have to make up the difference. So I will be trying to do as much DIY projects and buy as little ready made items as possible. A while back my mom and I set aside an evening to try out different centerpiece ideas and this was our favorite from the night (excuse the mess surrounding the centerpiece).



You can't really tell from this picture but there is a silver/gray floating candle on top. What do you think? Any suggestions? I went ahead and bought the 25 vases I need because I found a great deal but there is still room for changes involving what goes inside the vase. One thing I have contemplated is the color of the gems in the bottom of the vase. Since the color scheme is yellow and gray I looked for gray gems but have had no luck after looking at all the local stores and even searching online. I didn't think yellow would look good because I thought it would take away from the yellow flower. The iridescent/clear gems kind of help reflect light but I'm debating whether they are too bland?

I will be placing the vase on top of some sort of mirror or decorative place mat and will be sprinkling yellow and gray cutout flowers on the tables.

Please give me your opinion, good or bad!

4 comments:

  1. i REALLY REALLY love it!!! especially the candle on top and the elegance of the water, rocks, and flower. i think it looks really nice. it could also be pretty (maybe?) if you put these vases on a round mirror with some smaller votives around it. just a thought! great job, i'm sure the final result will change a bit as you move closer to the date but you're in a great place so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're interested in incorporating more grey, I wonder if you could get the clear gems could reflect some grey. Try putting some sort of grey coaster underneath, or a grey stone or object in the center. Can't hurt to experiment! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oohhh - continuing with amber's idea - you could use small gray beach stones instead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the ideas! I'm going out today to try to find some gray stones and possibly mirrors or something else to set them on. I appreciate the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete