Saturday, July 3, 2010

Alcohol Issues...

Well I've been trying to put off writing a blog update about our ceremony venue because we're still waiting to hear back from the church! We had a meeting with the pastor last Monday and it went really well. I really liked him and think he would do a great job for our wedding. They told us as we were leaving that they would check the church calendar and get back to us to confirm the date. Also... when we were hanging out with some old high school friends last weekend I was talking to one of the girls that got engaged around the same time I did. I asked her how wedding planning was coming and where she would be doing her wedding. When she told me they were doing the wedding and reception both at the reception site I was somewhat shocked because she had grown up in the church that we were looking at as our possible ceremony site. As we talked I found out that she had heard from many other people that the pastor will not officiate weddings for people that are having alcohol at their reception! I kinda freaked out when she told us this but we already had our meeting set up so we would go through with the meeting and see how it goes. Well our plan was to bring it up in our first meeting to see what the pastor said. Well... that didn't happen. Really there wasn't a good time and we didn't want to come off as alcoholics! I didn't want him to think that alcohol was the most important thing to me because obviously it is not but it is kind of a deal breaker if he won't allow us to have it at our reception. The next day they sent us an email with all the specifics and rules for using the church and it did not include anything about alcohol. So I sent a reply email and asked about their policies on that issue. And.... I haven't heard back after 4 days! I decided I will give them till Tuesday, and at that time it will have been a week, and if they don't email me back by then I will call them. In addition they still never told us if our date is officially open.

What do you think? Would it be a deal breaker for you or would you just alter your reception? Has anyone ran into this with their own pastors?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your hunt. I personally don't plan to serve alcohol at my wedding anyway...it seems like an added expense that isn't necessary & I don't want the liability either. However, if it's something that is important to you then I'd start looking for a new venue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would've been a deal breaker for us (obviously). Hope it's working out for you!

    ReplyDelete