Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Our Engagement... 12/19/09

So I thought I would share how Zach asked me to be the luckiest women alive. We both knew we would eventually get engaged and married and I suspected the proposal would come in the next 6 months or so, but he still managed to completely surprise me! Our 5 year anniversary was coming up in a couple of weeks along with Christmas and New Years. But he was able to surprise me by not doing it on any of those "special" days.

The day started off with us finishing up the rest of our Christmas shopping then going to Panera for lunch. We then relaxed for most of the afternoon then headed over to Koch Arena to get in line for our big game against Texas Tech, who at the time was ranked #20 in the nation. For those of you that know anything about Wichita State Shocker Basketball you know that we NEVER get ranked opponents into Koch Arena. So the students and fans were very excited for this game and even more excited for a possible upset over a heavily favored team. As the game progressed it stayed close and we all started to believe we might actually pull out a victory. During half time a fellow student proposed to his girlfriend at half-court which was very exciting and sweet, but something Zach and I would never want haha. In the end we ended up winning 85-83 in a very exciting fashion! As we were walking to our car I told Zach and my sister that, "I was so happy that we had won and if we had ended up losing it would have been the worst day ever!" Later on I asked him if he was still going to propose if we lost and he said he had thought about that in advance and was still going to regardless but had definitely contemplated it. After the game Zach and I drove around to look at Christmas lights, and even went to the big house my family and I drove by every Christmas growing up.


(Notice we're still in our Wichita State Shocker attire haha)

After we were done looking at Christmas lights we went back to his apartment to hang out for a little while before I went home for the night. Little did I know I was just about to walk into the best night of my life. He ran up the stairs to unlock the door and this is what I saw as I walked in...



He then got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife. I honestly can't remember one word he said but all I knew is the answer was YES! He then told me the whole story of how he was able to get everything set up. Little did I know my sister left the game and went directly to his apartment to meet up with his parents to set everything up. He even thought to have my sister bring a couple changes of clothes so we could take some pictures in non-Shocker gear haha.




Zach also knew it was important to me to be able to share this wonderful moment with both our families. So he had set up to have my family and his family waiting for us over a his parents house. We were able to celebrate with our families and have some delicious cheesecake!









The night was absolutely perfect and I could not ask for a more amazing fiance. I love him with all my heart and can't wait to start our married life together!



Was your fiance able to completely surprise you? Even down to the last minute before the proposal?

2 comments:

  1. So cute!! I was so excited when David told me he was proposing and that it was on our 6 year anniversary! :) I don't know if I ever told you, but David's brother was at the WSU game and texted David when the guy proposed at halftime - David seriously almost texted Zach and asked if he had changed his plan. How bad would that have been if you saw the text and he ruined the surprise?! Luckily I talked him out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yea that could have been dangerous. I guess my sister's friends were texting her asking her the same thing all night and his mom (who was very excited) had told several people it was happening that night. I think it's a miracle that I didn't find out!

    ReplyDelete